The goal of the project was to create a new and original font by combining any three existing fonts of our choosing. This new font would then be used to write out a phrase of our choice. The only constraint was that the phrase and the font needed an overall theme. That being said, I wanted to do something relating to outer space.
I selected the following three fonts: Bodoni 72, Aesthetika and Inspira. The decorative fonts, which were both found online, were the one that I selected first. The elements included within the design of the font itself reminded me of outer space, the theme that I had previously decided on.
Originally wanting a sans-serif font for the base, I decided to go with Bodoni 72 instead. I thought it would be interesting to combine the elements of the decorative and fun fonts with one that is usually interpreted more as a classy and simple font. Even though they are vastly different in structure, I believe that they made an interesting combination in the end.
CHALLENGES & TAKEAWAYS
Time constraint played a big part in this project; having only three weeks to create a new font by combing other fonts together was definitely a challenge. Although I am happy with the result, there was not much time for exploration. I tried to counter-act the time constraint by selecting a phrase that had repeated letters, meaning I only had to create said letter once and reuse it when needed.
Final dimensions: 11" by 17"